Unreal Engine 5 Essential Materials
I’ve created a new project in Unreal Engine 5 with the essential materials collection that I created in Unreal Engine 4.
This project can be downloaded for free from Github: Unreal Engine Essential Materials UE5
This is not production-ready and has some minor issues that need to be fixed. E.g. Unreal Engine 5 no longer supports displacement – so the displacement material is broken. But nearly all other materials are working correctly. This is an initial repo just to get started and I will make the fixes asap.
List of Materials:
- Simple Blend with two ‘3 vector’ nodes.
- Standard – A little more advanced with Colour/Rough/Normal and a switch for using a diffuse texture or just a base colour.
- Bump – Standard material with a heightmap.
- Parallax Occlusion – A more advanced heightmap material. Similar to bump, better look, but more demanding of system resources.
- Opacity – Parts of the material are transparent or hidden.
- Frosted Glass
- Distorted Glass
- Slimy Water
- Carbon Fibre
- Clear Coat
- Clear Coat – No Bottom
- Parameter collection example
- Curtain wind animation material – Doesn’t just have to be a curtain – but best with cloth and flexible meshes.
- Master Material – Most of the materials here can be made from this material if required.
- Vertex Painted Material
- Vertex Puddle painting Material.
- Material Functions Example
- Masked and two-sided foliage material
- Wheat Field with noise texture to create a wind effect (this uses a photo I got from pixabay – the effect can be improved by using high-quality textures from megascans or another library)
- A simple Landscape material with 5 layers for painting.
- Light Function material
- Sky Material for Sky Box/Sphere